About Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU)
· 12 bed unit.
· Provides a high acuity level of care to a wide variety of cardiac and medical patients at a 2:1 patient to nurse ratio.
· The patient population includes diagnosis such as unstable angina and myocardial infarctions, arrhythmias, acute renal failure, acute respiratory failure, arrhythmias, cardiogenic shock, pneumonia, and sepsis.
· CICU also cares for patients who have undergone cardiothoracic surgery including cardiac bypass, complex valve replacement/repair, and TAVR. CICU consists of patients who require invasive hemodynamic monitoring, mechanical ventilation, EKOS (PE and extremities) continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT), ECMO, IMPELLA, intra-aortic Balloon Pump, and induced hypothermia.
SPECIFIC ELEMENTS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS*
· Performs and documents total physical assessment for patients within unit Scope of Care.
· Analyzes pertinent data, communicates findings and documents information.
· Utilizes equipment and performs special procedures competently as related to unit Scope of Care.
· Organizes and prioritizes nursing care for a unit specific patient assignment.
· Administers all medications utilizing the 5 rights to medication administration.
· Initiates and documents patient teaching and discharge planning including family and/or significant other in collaboration with multidisciplinary team members.
· Acquires and maintains current knowledge pertinent to nursing practice in Critical Care.
· Communicates effectively with peers, supervisors, ancillary department and other customers.
Required - Current Virginia license or license pending results of State Board.
Preferred - One year experience in area of clinical expertise of which applying.
Required - Graduate of accredited School of Nursing with current license as a Registered Professional Nurse in the State of Virginia or compact license.
Preferred - BSN degree or currently enrolled in BSN Program.