The Genomics Scientist is responsible for the management and execution of sequencing based projects as well as development, testing, validation and implementation of new genomic technologies and protocols. Strong background & technical skills in molecular biology and sequencing technology improvement and optimization are required. Under the leadership of the senior genomics management, with limited supervision, the incumbent will be responsible for direct execution of experiments, assessment of QC for research/or service projects, and troubleshooting technical problems. The incumbent will also be responsible for the design, organization, and implementation of a multitude of sequencing-based molecular biology experiments in the areas of biomedical, clinical, and biotechnology research at JAX. They will ensure that sample preparation and sequencing production is maximized and will drive new technology development, process optimization, and pipeline and protocol development. A demonstrated team player with independent decision making in regard to technical and project management issues is required.
• Development, testing, validation, and implementation of new genomic technologies and methodologies, improvement and optimization of protocols, including development and optimization of protocols for HTS library preparations.
• Engage in sample/sequencing QC analysis and, when necessary, provide input and suggestions for additional features and improvements on the protocols and data analysis.
• Initiate scientific projects by applying new technologies and analysis capabilities to showcase their robustness and discovery power.
• Publish in peer review journals; contribute to scientific research papers, grant applications and reports.
• Other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Genetics, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and extensive experience in different aspects of genomics, including an excellent understanding of sequence data and its applications.
- 2+ years of relevant experience in genomic technology, sequencing or molecular biology field.
- Experience working in a customer facing role with a focus on genomics preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in sequencing based molecular approaches and sequencing based interrogation.
- Experience in protocol development and optimization procedures.
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and record-keeping skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public-speaking and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated team player with the ability to work independently as well as part of a diverse team.
- Ability to organize, manage and monitor multiple initiatives to successful completion, adapting to shifting priorities in a high-pressure environment
- Excellent initiative and organizational skills to prioritize complex tasks, projects, and workflow, and use independent judgment to make decisions regarding operations and deadlines
- Interpersonal relationship skills sufficient to allow incumbent to work effectively with individuals and groups made up of people representing a diversity of levels and degrees of sophistication
- Experience in validation and documentation of new and complex molecular biology methods, and in HTS library preparation, operation and downstream data QC.
- Strong publication record, and extensive experience in the preparation and handling of scientific manuscripts and reports
- Prior LIMS (Laboratory Informatics Management System) experience is preferred.
IMPORTANT: All resumes must be submitted with a brief candidate summary that outlines the key qualifications required for this position as per the job description. Please showcase all skills and experience relevant to each requirement for THIS particular job. This write-up will be shared with the client along with the resume. Candidates without a proper write-up will not be forwarded to the client.