San Diego County Public Health Laboratory (PHL) is seeking a dedicated embedded LIMS Administrator
resource to work with PHL on a full-time basis. As a LIMS Administrator, this individual will, at a
minimum, be working with staff from the Health and Human Services Information Technology Services
(ITS) division, the Information Technology Outsourcer (ITO) - Perspecta, and third-party vendors to assist
PHL with Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and other IT related projects.
The resource will be responsible for the support, validation and troubleshooting of the LIMS as well as
implementation, administration, training, support, and overall mentoring of the lab staff. The primary
responsibilities of this position are to administer the technical aspects of the LIMS to ensure that the
system is accurately and efficiently capturing and reporting critical and environmental laboratory data.
The resource will also work with laboratory and other entities to create reports and update workflows.
In addition, they will be responsible for the successful implementation of the new enhancement
features requested by the PHL. The resource will work closely with each of the laboratory sections to
ensure that all LIMS processes meet the regulatory requirements of their respective agencies (e.g.
Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program
(ELAP) and Centers for Disease Control (CDC)) including strict change control and validation protocols.
The resource will perform a variety of technical support duties pertaining to computer systems, printers,
scanners and related equipment and serve as a first responder for computer, network and
hardware/software issues, and communicating with the Perspecta help desk, opening up issue tickets as
needed. Will also serve as the technical representative and liaison between departments and the IT
Outsourcer to provide effective technical support for network services and information technology
business processes. The resource will act as liaison with Perspecta which will troubleshoot, analyze and
resolve system/application related support requests, diagnose computer problems, monitor computer
processing systems, and install software and perform tests on computer equipment and programs. The
resource may also coordinate with Perspecta when they are setting up VLAN for instruments,
computer/audio video equipment, scheduled maintenance, as well as training clients in use of
programs. Other job duties may include scheduling minor repairs and ordering catalog items.
The resource needs a strong knowledge of computers and operation, including an understanding of
hardware and software, operating systems, and basic computer programming. Familiarity with
electronic equipment, cellular phones, internet applications and security are required. The resource will
need good communication skills as this position requires frequent interaction with managers,
executives, clients, vendors and other County departments.
Prioritized Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develop, modify and maintain forms/interfaces for data entry into LIMS.
2. Create specific Crystal reports, develop or enhance workflows, create new tests, triggers, write
and run queries to extract data including writing SQL scripts in STARLIMS.
3. Work closely with laboratory personnel, vendors and other IT professionals to understand the
needs of the laboratory staff and clients, configure and maintain LIMS in a manner that
addresses those needs and maximizes the system's potential.4. Analyze PHL requirements to translate needs into technical requirements.
5. Act as a liaison between PHL, Perspecta, LIMS vendor, LIMSs users and ITS to provide end-user
support on LIMS application.
6. Formulate and define the scope of work for major upgrades to LIMS through research and fact
finding combined with an understanding of applicable systems and laboratory requirements.
7. Prepare Statement of Work and assist with conducting business and functional requirements
analysis for system enhancement or replacement.
8. Analyze data trending generated by LIMS for process improvement, general quality control and
quality improvement processes.
9. Identify, implement, and document appropriate solutions for problems and issues with the LIMS
during daily operations that can improve the laboratory information management process.
10. Train others as appropriate on specific areas of LIMS expertise including employees and external
system users. Assist in the development of systems documentation, training materials, and
11. Identify, evaluate, develop, and redesigns laboratory information system processes and
procedures to meet user requirements. Create detailed written requirements.
12. Consult with and advise laboratory management and decision makers to identify, recommend,
implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions including system customization as
13. Assist in design, implementation of new LIMS system or version upgrade.
14. Assist with project estimation, planning and tracking of development and implementation tasks.
Anticipate dependencies and delays and bring them to the management’s attention.
15. Provide recommendations for the most efficient and cost-effective solutions.
16. Evaluate the existing information processing systems or manual workflows to determine
effectiveness and recommend changes to improve production or workflows as required.
17. Assist with UAT during implementation of software application systems.
18. Work closely with management to prioritize business goals and information needs.
19. Prepare user documentation for program specific systems.
20. Work closely with PHL staff, developers, testers and a variety of end users to ensure technical
compatibility and user satisfaction.
21. Support Perspecta in maintenance, troubleshooting and supporting existing LIMS system
(STARLIMS) and interfaces.
22. Work with internal and external clients, ensuring they have access to STARLIMS and can see
23. Support Perspecta in maintenance of existing instrument interface and working with vendor to
develop new instrument interface.
24. Working with Perspecta provide variety of technical support duties pertaining to computer
systems, printers, scanners and related equipment.
Experience in LIMS application management, LIMS implementation experience and laboratory testing experience preferred
Experience with CLIA, ELAP, FDA, or CDC preferred
Proven knowledge in system testing, validation, problem resolution, and training
Background in laboratory computing environment including instrument and system interfaces and familiarity with laboratory procedures
Working knowledge of the regulatory environment
Strong written and verbal communication skills across different and diverse groups or individuals
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the workday
Ability to work under pressure and troubleshoot problems
Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
Strong experience in application testing
Ability to explain technical details to non-technical staff
Solid understanding of business practices with fundamental understanding of project management methodology
Desired Technical Skills
Strong knowledge of SQL
Strong knowledge of Crystal Reports
Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools
Preferred languages: Jscript, .NET, VBScript, SSL, HL7, XML, Python
RDBMS: SQL Server, Oracle
Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field plus two years of work experience in an IT Support Analyst position – OR – any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the required knowledge, skills and abilities