Operating Room Registered Nurse Round Rock, TX
SHIFT: Full Time Evenings/ Days/Mixed Shifts (rotating weekends), On Call
St. David’s Round Rock Medical Center is part of St. David’s HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. With 171 beds, the hospital’s comprehensive services include advanced cardiac care at the Heart Hospital of Austin at St. David's Round Rock—the first specialized cardiac facility in Williamson County—with the only Hybrid Operating Room (OR) in the county; as well as emergency services in a 24-hour emergency department, including advanced trauma care with a Level II Trauma Center; St. David's Urgent Care Round Rock; and St. David's Emergency Center in Cedar Park. St. David’s Round Rock Medical Center is also known for providing advanced orthopedic and robotic services, among other complex specialties. In 2016, the hospital received the Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence from Healthgrades and also earned a national distinction for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group.
Under the indirect supervision of the Supervisor(s) of the unit, the Registered Nurse is expected to implement the nursing process (including use of using diagnosis), documents nursing activities and intervention plan, as well as medication administered. The R.N. provides leadership and supervises the care, maintenance and activities of the surgical suite.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Demonstrates effective working knowledge of equipment needed for patient care. Participates in budget control by using only those supplies necessary for quality patient care. Make decisions of moderate difficulty. Had direct contact with patients, physicians, and hospital personnel. Always maintains confidentiality regarding patient information. Accepts shift work and takes call as needed by the department. Works with patients ranging in life span from infants to geriatric. Must be able to demonstrate understanding of HCA's and St. David's "Patients First" safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.
Essential Job Function
- Completes age appropriate assessment of patient prior to admission to surgical suite.
- Verifies operative procedure and notes presence of signed consent on medical record.
- Verifies allergies and communication information to team.
- Ascertains that history & physical are present on medical record prior to anesthesia induction.
- Reports deviations of diagnostic studies to team members.
- Identifies and documents presence of internal and/or external prosthesis/implants.
- Elicits patient’s perception of surgery and understanding of planned procedure.
- Provides patient teaching and emotional support for assigned patient.
- Assists with the care of the patient during anesthesia.
- Positions patient properly for surgery.
- Demonstrates the ability to prevent intra-operative injury by utilizing appropriate supports, and padding on restraints.
- Performs correct surgical preps.
- Administers medications and IV therapy correctly and safely.
- Accurately documents nursing care rendered, operative procedure performed, staff participation and other required information
- Insures availability of safe equipment.
- Participates in process improvement initiatives.
- Takes appropriate action to prevent/manage accidents in the area.
- Participates in budget and inventory control
- Participates in staff and self-development.
- Performs other duties as delegated.
- Demonstrates positive customer service skills.
- Facilitates cohesiveness of Surgical Services.
Education & Experience
Required: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing; One year of experience in operating room nursing; good guest relations; attends seminars of classes in G.I. nursing.
Licenses & Certifications
Required: Licensed by the Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners AHA BLS at time of hire. AHA ACLS w/in 6 months of hire for new employees. Employees hired before 3/25/2014 have until March 31, 2015 to get ACLS.
Preferred: Certification by SGNA