Paralegal – Compliance Specialist
6-months contract position with possibility of extension/conversion.
Our client is looking for a compliance specialist to work closely with our Product Development team.
The ideal candidate would have a paralegal background with extensive experience with consumer product goods compliance and will be able to develop and execute a compliance program.
This position will help identify compliance and standards requirements for various products, including those that apply to specific technologies or product categories (ie Bluetooth, Lithium batteries, AC/DC converters, lights and audio, etc.) and certifications required by regional regulatory bodies (eg CE certification in Europe, TELEC in Japan, etc.).
This role will include collaboration with cross-functional teams, including working with Sales, Marketing, Operations, Legal Counsel, Compliance and manufacturing partners.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prevents compliance issues by collaborating with engineering planning and design teams; reviewing design data; identifying and resolving product and engineering design issues; identifying short-term and long-range issues; researching and identifying applicable regulatory and industry compliance standards and codes; developing compliance policies.
- Develops compliance plans by researching, analyzing, selecting, and applying compliance engineering concepts, approaches, techniques, and criteria; adapting and modifying compliance engineering options; developing and evaluating new compliance methodologies; qualifying vendors, components, and parts.
- Organizes compliance program by preparing timetables, cost estimates, and required resources including test laboratories and equipment.
- Determines compliance by establishing compliance test standards; conducting and witnessing tests; performing diagnostic procedures; measuring performance; analyzing and evaluating findings; performing forensic analysis of failures; troubleshooting failures; supervising sub-contractors.
- Attains compliance by isolating and resolving non-compliance issues; recommending product and process changes; initiating engineering change orders.
- Documents compliance by completing approval applications; recording test results; preparing investigative reports; preparing and filing Declarations of Conformity; maintaining compliance database.
- Prepares compliance reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing measurement data and trends.
- Updates job knowledge by tracking and understanding emerging compliance engineering practices and standards; participating in educational opportunities and professional organizations; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks.
- Provide administration aid for all projects within product development and quality engineering team as needed.
- Enhances engineering and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 3-5 years of related work experience in compliance or legal support, preferably in consumer product goods
- Paralegal experience preferred
- Project or program management experience a plus
- Ability to lift heavy objects (~50 lbs)