Title: RN – Critical Care Float Pool – Las Vegas, NV
of Positions: 6
Schedule: Fulltime – 3 Days & 3 Night shifts with rotating weekends / 3-12hr Shifts
The Critical Care Float Pool RN manages the nursing care of critically ill patients in accordance with established policies, procedures and protocols of the healthcare organization. The tasks and responsibilities include:
- Assesses plans and evaluates patient care needs.
- Carries out physician orders.
- Administers prescribed medications, changes dressings, cleans wounds, monitors vital signs.
- Provides respiratory and ventilator management and monitoring for patients.
- Serves as the primary coordinator of all disciplines for well coordinated patient care.
- Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems.
- Instructs and educates patients and families.
- Assesses and coordinates patient's discharge planning needs with members of the healthcare team.
- Provides age and culturally appropriate care.
- Orients and mentors new staff members.
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
- Current license in Nevada as a Registered Nurse.
- Will you accept pending license: Yes - if license in process and far along in process will accept)
- Current Certifications Required: BCLS/ACLS upon hire – NIHSS within 90 days Preferred: CCRN.
- Passing score on Critical Care Test/ Rhythm interpretation examination.
BSN preferred - Will accept ASN if enrolled in BSN program
- 2 years of current acute care hospital critical care experience
- Current knowledge and skills appropriate to the age/type of patient population served.
- Customer service abilities including effective listening skills.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner appropriate to the developmental stage of the patient.
- Critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, walking, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, moving, lifting of patients and/or equipment up to 50 pounds and exposure to patient elements and handling of emergencies and critical patient incidents.
- Float Pool will float to all areas of the ICU - # of Beds per unit - Trauma=20, CVICU=10, Burn Unit=10, CMU=41, Neuro Surgical ICU=16, MICU=34, CVTU=22
- Nurse to Patient Ratio: ICU 2:1 - CMU 3:1
- Teamwork is the bases of the culture on this unit
- This is a very busy team – often being pulled in many directions. This team works very well together. They always support one another and jump in whenever needed. They all understand teamwork is essential for patient safety as it minimizes adverse events caused by miscommunication with others caring for patients.The Director is very supportive of staff and is available to assist in any way. At the same time, she is very direct and blunt. She appreciates open communication
- What has and hasn’t worked with personality/skill types: Skills from other units that can translate to success in MICU is experience in ICU step-down unit, drip titration and management of critical ill patients.
- This unit is looking for candidates that have strong commitment to improving patient outcomes.
- This is a Union Facility
- No new grads
- Well rounded nursing experience in critical care
- Since this facility is our busiest and largest in Las Vegas, the ideal candidate should not be afraid of high stress situations
- Several ER nurses have applied, if they have additional critical care unit experience, they will be considered
Skills from other units that they feel will prepare the candidate for their unit:
- Ability to multitask with limited direction at times
- Advanced knowledge of critical care departments within the facility
- Thick skin
Float Pool Differential - $5.00 per hour on top of base pay
Night Shift $2.10 per hour differential and $1.50 for eve and weekend shift
Sign on Bonus Case by case basis ( will have to get Division approval)
Relocation - Case by case basis ( will have to get Division approval)