Overview: Milmont Greenhouses provides the Shenandoah Valley and Central Virginia customers with an extensive array of skillfully nurtured plants and gardening supplies. Most of the plants we sell are grown on site and sold in our year-round garden center. We are looking for a motivated and skilled individual to join our management team as the Senior Grower/Production Manager. The potential candidate should be a highly collaborative team member who will put Milmont's mission first and help to deliver remarkable experiences to our customers.
The Senior Grower/Production Manager is responsible for producing high quality annuals, perennials, herbs, vegetables, hanging baskets and potted plants. Our growing facilities include 24 greenhouses totaling 58,000 sq. ft and over 1.5 acres of outdoor growing area. We welcome applicants who reflect the mission, vision and values of our work-place.
- Assist with coordinating a complex schedule of crop production for retail and wholesale sales, special orders, and outdoor seasonal landscaping.
- Produce all seasonal annuals, perennials, herbs, vegetables, hanging baskets and potted plants.
- Monitor and control greenhouse temperatures, humidity, soil fertility and moisture levels.
- Receive seed, plug and herbaceous for production.
- Specify materials and supplies to support production operations and oversee ordering and receiving.
- Use IPM practices to identify, monitor and manage pests, diseases and weeds.
- Assist and make recommendations on maintaining a yearly biological control program.
- Maintain a clean and orderly growing environment.
- Direct and guide production area staff, seasonal staff, volunteers and interns throughout the year.
Update General Manager and Sales Managers continuously on crop status.
- Maintain accurate records, files and inventories for plant propagation, plant labels, grow lights, crop production, pesticide applications.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient knowledge of plant identification, greenhouse control systems, plant cultural requirements, and disease/pest recognition.
- Broad growing knowledge of diverse plant material.
Demonstrated skill in all areas of crop production.
- Ability to use hand tools and power equipment safely.
- Willingness to share horticultural knowledge with customers and staff in informal settings and through formally scheduled programs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including use of Microsoft Office suite and other specialized programs.
- Ability to plan and direct the work of production area staff, seasonal staff, volunteers, and interns.
- Ability to stand for extended periods, lifting objects regularly (up to 35 lbs.).
- Use arms, hands and fingers repetitively to cut and manipulate small objects.
- Work in all weather conditions.
- Willing to work six days (Mon-Sat) and 50+ hours per week during peak seasons and assisting with special events.
- Greenhouse: 2 years (Required)
- Fruit and or vegetable: 2 years (Preferred)
- Plant Production: 3 years (Required)
- Degree in Agriculture or Horticulture (Preferred) License:
- Driver's License (Required)
- State Agriculture pesticide applicator's certification within six months of appointment.
- Job Type: Full-time