Schedule: Monday – Friday; 8A-5P
• ASN (BSN Preferred)
• 2-3 years minimum experience working as a circulating nurse (O.R.) or endoscopy nurse
• 2+ years of Managerial Experience
• KS State License
• BLS and ACLS Certification
About the Position
As a Surgical Services Manager this position has primary responsibility to plan and administer
the activities of the Surgical areas; Ensure nursing services are delivered to each patient in
accordance with quality standards; Acts as a liaison between the Surgeon, Specialty Clinic and
the patient care team; Develop short and long range departmental plans and budget; Manage
department resources and day-to-day employee relations/staff development.
Manages the Surgery, Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) and Central Sterile Departments. Is
responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Also directly
supervises six to eight non-supervisory employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in
accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include
interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising
performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and organizes activities related to surgery services within a hospital or outpatient
surgery center to ensure patient needs are met in accordance with instructions of physician
and hospital or center administrative procedures.
- Coordinates activities with other departments, patient care units, and agencies.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates methods to ensure effective and efficient use of staff,
facilities, equipment, and other resources while maintaining patient care standards.
- Develops, implements, and coordinates surgical services quality management, utilization
review, and discharge planning programs.
- Consults with nurse managers on nursing problems and interpretation of hospital or center
policies to ensure patient needs are met.
- Plans and organizes orientation and in-service training for Surgery Unit team members and
participates in guidance and educational programs.
- Engages in studies and investigations related to improving delivery of services and assists in
developing and implementing market strategies to improve programs and services.
- Formulates, monitors, and administers the department budget and recommends acquisition
of capital equipment.
- Compares laboratory reports with communicable diseases list to identify conditions that
required infection control intervention/procedures.
- Assist with advising/communicating to hospital personnel regarding precautions to be taken
to protect patients, staff, and other persons from possible contamination or infection.
- Assist with investigation of infection control problems and assists in arranging follow-up
care for persons exposed to infection or disease.
- Manages Personal Protective Equipment needs and current inventory.
- Performs interventions required to ensure the patient’s procedure is performed on the
correct site, side and level.
- Ensures all required documentation, lab work and X-rays are complete and in patient’s chart
before and after surgery. Notifies surgeon of missing/conflicting orders or in-appropriate
History and Physical or Progress notes.
- Administers medications safely and accurately.
- Manages the patient’s specimens in an appropriate manner.
- Must account for all surgical items used during procedures.
About the Hospital
We are a 15-bed critical access hospital providing high-quality care distinguished by patient satisfaction feedback/results.
We offer a broad range of services including Emergency, Surgery Services, Radiology, Laboratory, Inpatient Care, Rehabilitation Services and Swing Bed. Also offered at Hillsboro Community Hospital are EKGs. Our Specialty Clinic also helps to serve the medical needs of our patients. Our staff includes physicians and providers representing a range of medical training and experience as well as caring and experienced physician assistants, nurses and support staff. The
staff has numerous resources available ranging from modern equipment to advanced patient care software to utilize while treating all types of medical conditions.
ABOUT THE AREA
Hillsboro was named after John Gillespie Hill, who homesteaded in the area in 1871, and
currently has a relative population of 3,000. Hillsboro is home of Tabor College, which was
founded in 1908 by members of the Mennonite Brethren and Krimmer Mennonite Brethren
Some of the largest employers in Hillsboro are education related, Tabor College and the Unified
School District, which have both been in the community for over 100 years. Hope Valley
Christian School, a private school, is also located in Hillsboro. Manufacturing and agriculture are
also large employers in the area.
Amenities in the area include a large Golf Course, a couple Museums and a large Fishing and
Hunting community. They also have a very low cost of living with the Median Home Listing price
being around $98K.