Title: RN – MICU – Las Vegas, NV
of Positions: 27
Schedule: Fulltime –Days & Night shifts with rotating weekends / 3-12hr Shifts
The Medical ICU RN manages the nursing care of critically ill patients in accordance with established policies, procedures and protocols of the healthcare organization. The tasks and responsibilities include:
- Assesses plans and evaluates patient care needs.
- Carries out physician orders.
- Administers prescribed medications, changes dressings, cleans wounds, monitors vital signs.
- Provides respiratory and ventilator management and monitoring for patients.
- Serves as the primary coordinator of all disciplines for well-coordinated patient care.
- Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems.
- Instructs and educates patients and families.
- Assesses and coordinates patient's discharge planning needs with members of the healthcare team.
- Provides age and culturally appropriate care.
- Orients and mentors new staff members.
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
- Current license in Nevada as a Registered Nurse.
- Will you accept pending license: Yes
- Current Certifications Required: BCLS upon hire – ACLS within 30days of start , NIHSS. Preferred: CCRN.
- Passing score on Critical Care Test/ Rhythm interpretation examination.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing – BSN preferred
- 1+ years of current acute care hospital critical care experience
- Current knowledge and skills appropriate to the age/type of patient population served.
- Customer service abilities including effective listening skills.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner appropriate to the developmental stage of the patient.
- Critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, walking, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, moving, lifting of patients and/or equipment up to 50 pounds and exposure to patient elements and handling of emergencies and critical patient incidents.
- 34 Bed ICU - Recently expanded the unit from 26 to 34 beds
- Nurse to Patient Ratio: 1 Nurse : 2 Patients; 1:1 for HACA, CRRT, donor, etc.
- Teamwork is the bases of the culture on this unit
- Type of culture (management style) of director or on the floor: Team is core value of the unit developed by unit based council. Values and approach emphasized by floor manager.
- What has and hasn’t worked with personality/skill types: Skills from other units that can translate to success in MICU is experience in ICU step-down unit, drip titration and management of critical ill patients.
- This unit is looking for candidates that have strong commitment to improving patient outcomes.