$42.00 - $47.00/hr W2
The candidate will play a pivotal role in developing new mobility products and services at Client's Research and Innovation Center in the heart of Silicon Valley. They will be an integral part of Client's Mobility Research department, a varied and interdisciplinary group within Research and Advanced Engineering that is dedicated to cutting-edge research to improve transportation accessibility, mobility, and sustainability for all. The candidate will support research projects helping client develop and simulate new and innovative mobility solutions, including micro-transit, dynamic shuttles, smart cities, and connected and automated vehicles. The position requires a combination of technical and soft skills, as well as experience with project management.
Major responsibilities of this position include:
- Project management to deliver micro-transit pilot projects, working directly with transit agencies and client subsidiaries
- Support an array of research projects as needed with data analysis and visualization, writing journal articles, invention disclosures, patents, and other IP
- Perform collaborative work with other groups internal and external to client, including National Labs, Universities, Cities, and client subsidiaries
- Support efforts to evaluate and benchmark transportation modelling and simulation software both traditional software (e.g. CUBE and VISSIM) and those more focused on new mobility
- Help implement transportation modelling and visualization software that can show how client mobility solutions can improve cities' transportation systems
- Excellent knowledge of travel behavior and human factors topics such as factors influencing travel patterns, mode choice and location choice
- Experience interacting with key transportation planning stakeholders such as city planning and engineering departments, transit agencies, metropolitan planning organizations, and transportation consulting firms
- General knowledge of mobility trends and emerging mobility technologies and services
- Project management experience, including responsibility for managing a budget
- Experience with data analytics software and scripting such as python, R, Stata, Tableau, etc.
- Experience manipulating urban data sets, including location-based and Census data, for transportation modelling/analysis
- Experience in transportation planning or modeling (coursework counts).
Examples include but are not limited to:
- Discrete choice or travel behavioral modeling using R, Biogeme, or other software
- Shared mobility modelling/simulation techniques using open source platforms such as MATSIM or other agent-based tools
- Traditional travel demand modeling (e.g. with TransCAD or CUBE) and/or activity-based modelling.)
- Ability to learn new software quickly and assist with evaluating and benchmarking tools. (Examples of relevant software include: ArcGIS, PTV Vissim/Visum, Aimsun, TransModeler, CUBE, TransCAD, MATSIM, SUMO, and client-developed simulations, optimization models, and data architectures.)
- Experience using APIs and/or contributing to open-source software via Github, especially transportation modeling software such as MATSIM, SUMO, etc.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- 2+ years experience in the transportation planning or engineering field, e.g. with a government agency, consulting firm or University research lab
- M.S. in Transportation Engineering, Urban Transportation Planning, or equivalent
- PhD. In Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, or equivalent
IMPORTANT: All resumes must be submitted with a brief summary that outlines the key qualifications required for this position as per the job description. Please be sure to showcase all skills and experience relevant to each requirement for THIS particular job. This write-up will be forwarded to the client along with the resume.