Time WasterRecruiters, like many professionals, are often plagued by a lack of time. They spend their office hours buried in resumes and applications — in between screenings and interviews, of course. Even more to the point, they have to spend their time filling out and filing essential candidate and new-hire paperwork. None of these things are avoidable. So, which time-sucking recruitment practices are avoidable?

Do You Really Need Another Interview?

No. The answer is no. Candidates who have made it through the screening process and a preliminary interview shouldn’t be subjected to several rounds. It reflects poorly on the organization and damages the employer brand. Within the first five minutes of the interview, 49 percent of hiring managers know if they will hire a candidate. Furthermore, 87 percent know within the first 15 minutes. So, why are companies wasting time with third-, fourth-, and fifth-rounds interviews? Going this far with the interview process reveals to candidates just how discombobulated your recruitment process is.

Solution: Streamline your hiring process. Collect a team of hiring-decision makers who are educated about what the position requires and what training and experience a candidate needs to have.

No One Is Perfect

Really. No one is perfect. As a recruiter or hiring manager, you’re not perfect. You might miss key body language during an interview or scan over important information on a resume. Whichever way you look at it, you’re bound to make a mistake eventually. With that said, your candidates aren’t going to be perfect, either. You have to leave room for candidates who have made mistakes in the past or who lack the training or experience you’d prefer. Wasting time looking for that perfect candidate is just that – a waste of time. Purple squirrels simply don’t exist.

Solution: There is nothing wrong with conceptualizing an ideal candidate. That’s not the problem. The issue is when recruiters and hiring managers take every quality of the ideal candidate as a necessity, instead of a recommendation. Truly evaluate what your company needs. Then use that information to construct a base for evaluating your talent pool. Lance Haun, editor of SourceCon.com, said:

“When you can’t float out a job opening forever, it forces all parties to understand the capacity of a recruiting department as well as what are the highest impact positions you should be hiring for. This exercise is about planning and preparing for the best realistic talent acquisition outcomes. Even if you can’t live in this ideal, you can better understand your situation to aim for more realistic candidate expectations.”

Where Are Your Tools?

You can’t be a carpenter without a tool belt. Likewise, you can’t recruit effectively without the right tools. Applicant tracking systems save recruiters from the daunting task of filtering every single candidate. An ATS will filter candidates via keywords and key phrases in their resumes. The ATS then gives recruiters the applicants that best fit the position and the organization for review. Only 26 percent of employers use applicant tracking systems to manage their hiring process. So what are the other 74 percent of employers missing out on?

Solution: Search for tools like ATSs or video interviewing platforms with the capabilities your organization needs. However, you can’t just evaluate the user interface from the back end. It is critical to also pay attention to how user-friendly it is for your candidates. Maren Hogan, chief marketing brain at Red Branch Media, said:

“You should also consider these tools on the candidate’s end. Ensure that your online application system is simple and user-friendly. And you career site should be easy to navigate and update frequently.”

With a better-educated and trained hiring team, you can eliminate the redundant interviews. Typically, hiring managers know within the first part of the interview if a candidate is right for the job. So there is no need to waste time prolonging the hiring process with additional interviews. Honestly, you won’t find the perfect candidate either. You can stop your search for the Purple Squirrel, because you will never find it. However, you will have a hard time finding the candidate for the job if you don’t have the tools to help you along the way. For of these time sucks, there are solutions; it just takes a little time to fix them.

Where are your biggest time sucks in the recruiting process?



Like this article? Subscribe today! We also offer tons of free eBooks on career and recruiting topics - check out Get a Better Job the Right Way and Why It Matters Who Does Your Recruiting.
in Recruitment Process]