XpertHR Identifies Most Challenging Concerns in Employment Issues for 2015
A new XpertHR report reveals that workplace challenges in 2015 can cause lots of uncertainty and unforeseen costs for employers. Numerous new laws have been passed at the federal, state and local levels recently that will challenge employers, have a significant impact on the workplace, and increase the risk that an employer will be subject to a lawsuit, civil fines, or criminal penalties.
One trending challenge comes from states and municipalities enacting laws requiring an employer to provide covered employees with paid sick leave. Administration of these laws are tricky because employers must determine how it is accrued, the purposes for which paid sick leave may be used, and the procedures for using paid sick leave.
Another challenge facing employers is the legalization of medical marijuana in over 25 states. This is at odds with federal law, which continues to classify marijuana as an illegal drug under the Controlled Substances Act; additionally, the Department of Transportation insists that marijuana use is unlawful as it can be particularly dangerous for those employed in safety-sensitive positions.
Hiring undocumented immigrants is also a problematic issue. It can result in employer sanctions under federal law, even though a recent Executive Order could allow as many as 5 million undocumented immigrants to remain in the U.S., if they meet certain conditions.
XpertHR’s 15 scariest issues employers face in 2015 include:
- Off-Duty Use of Medical and Recreational Marijuana
- Paid Sick Leave
- Affordable Care Act Employer Mandate
- Protecting Company and Employee Privacy in the Digital Age
- Safe Driving Laws
- E-Cigarette Use in the Workplace
- Reasonably Accommodating Pregnant Women
- Wellness Programs Conflicting with ADA, GINA, and FMLA
- Growing Acceptance of LGBT Rights and Same-Sex Marriage
- Workplace Bullying
- Addressing Domestic Violence
- Minimum Wage and Wage and Hour Laws
- Providing Workplace Protections to Interns and Volunteers
- Ban the Box