Clinical, Counseling, and School Psychologists

Want help with your hiring? It's easy. Enter your information below, and we'll quickly reach out to discuss your hiring needs.

This occupation has now been updated to Clinical and Counseling Psychologists helps professionals in clinical, counseling, or school psychologist careers find better opportunities across all specialties and locations. Sign up in our career community today!

Also known as:
Child Psychologist, Child Psychometrist, Clinical Psychologist, Eating Disorder Psychologist, Educational Psychologist, Geropsychologist, Pediatric Psychologist, School Psychologist, School Psychometrist, Vocational Psychologist

Video transcript

Psychologists study the human mind and human behavior and help people with mental and emotional problems. Some specialize in research, while others focus on assisting companies and groups in managing conflict and operating more effectively. But most serve as clinical psychologists and work in counseling centers, hospitals, and independent or group practices.

Over 40 percent of all psychologists are self-employed, a rate five times higher than for most other professions. The educations requirements are high. A doctoral degree and a state license are required for many positions.

The work can be emotionally draining, but whether it's helping people kick a drug habit, come to terms with the loss of a loved one, or cope with chronic pain or illness, knowing you've made a positive difference in someone's life can be very, very fulfilling.


Assess, diagnose, and treat mental and emotional disorders of individuals through observation, interview, and psychological tests. Help individuals with distress or maladjustment understand their problems through their knowledge of case history, interviews with patients, and theory. Provide individual or group counseling services to assist individuals in achieving more effective personal, social, educational, and vocational development and adjustment. May design behavior modification programs and consult with medical personnel regarding the best treatment for patients.